Tips for Accessibility in Publishing
For best results:
- Longevity is required: Accessibility is a journey, not a destination. There is no one-time checkbox for compliance.
- There are no binary decisions: We have readers, formats, content and delivery.
- Optimize all: Application availability, content distribution platform, content delivery, and the reading experience.
- Keep control of your content: Assume re-use in the future.
- Revisit user interfaces with your eyes, ears and fingers: Make sure everyone can reasonably use them.
- Recognize the need to change assumptions: Semantic markup is required.
- Standards work, use them: EPUB 3, WCAG 2.0 or WAI-ARIA. Everyone wins.
- People are mobile: Assume nomadic behavior, optimize for mobility.
- Invent and share: Use what you can. Invent what you must. Share everything.